Your Privacy is Important to Us
The Urban Alchemist is defined as an APP entity under the Privacy Act 1988, and is bound by Australian Privacy Principles. These principles set the standards by which we handle personal information collected from our clients. These principles are in addition to the high standard of ethical conduct required by staff and each practitioner’s profession.
Types of information retained
Client files contain the following types of information:
Personal details (for example your name, address, date of birth, health fund details):
- Personal details (for example your name, address, date of birth, health fund details)
- Your health history
- Notes made during the course of professional consultations and therapy
- Referrals to other health service providers
- Results and reports received from other health service providers
The information held about you is provided by you or arises as a consequence of information provided by you.
Circumstances under which your information may be used or disclosed
Your personal and health information is handled with the utmost respect for your privacy. The file will be accessed by your practitioner, and when necessary, for example in the absence of your usual practitioner, by other practitioners in the practice. It may also be necessary for our staff to handle your file from time to time to address the administrative requirements of their role and these privacy requirements will be observed if it is necessary for them to view your records.
Your personal health information and your health record may be collected, used and disclosed for the following reasons:
- For communicating relevant information with other treating health professionals or your doctor
- For follow up reminder / recall notices
- Accounting / Health Insurance procedures
- Quality assurance activities such as accreditation
- As required by law, we may disclose your health information to public health authorities for purposes related to: preventing or controlling disease, injury or disability
- For use by other practitioners in this practice when consulting with you
- For legal related disclosure as required by a court of law (eg subpoena, court order)
- We may disclose your health information to notify or assist in notifying a family member, or another person responsible for your care, in the event of an emergency
If you have any concerns or wish to restrict access to your personal health information, please notify your practitioner.
Your right to access your records and correction of errors
You also have rights of access to any information we hold concerning you. Should you wish to access this information please contact your usual practitioner or receptionist who can make arrangements for access. You can correct factual errors in your personally identifiable information by sending us a request that can demonstrate that the information is incorrect. To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections.
Records are stored securely
As part of our commitment to preserving the confidentiality of the information contained in your health record, we advise that strict secure storage policies are observed in this practice. Your electronic records are accessible only by staff of this practice. Your paper records are also accessible only by staff of this practice. Each member of staff is well versed in the principles and importance of client confidentiality.
For further information or complaints
Should you have a query or complaint in relation to the privacy policies in place at this practice please contact the Practice Manager or Director, who will address any concerns you may have. We undertake to address complaints within 30 days of receipt of your complaint.
We are unable to give a professional opinion via email or telephone. While we are happy to answer general enquiries by telephone, an appointment is necessary to deal with specific health concerns.
Post ~ The Urban Alchemist
357 Nicholson Street
Carlton North VIC 3054
Call ~ (03) 9347 9247
Email ~ firstname.lastname@example.org