Yeah, we know.
If you are living in a state of constant drama and difficulty wondering ‘why bother?‘, perhaps it’s time to strap on your boots and get to work on YOU. That old adage about there being things you can change and things you can’t ain’t for nothing, and when it comes to climbing out of the hot mess that’s become your life it’s super important to know the difference. Start with you.
This is how we look at it: sometimes life is sh*t. However, when we trust that we have solid ground beneath our feet, we can trust ourselves to be okay even in the most trying of circumstances. ‘But how do I get to the solid ground?’, we hear you ask?
The answer? One foot in front of the other. And if all you can do is crawl, crawl.
The thing is… we humans are powerful and magical beings – that’s our birthright. But many (if not most) of us find our magic through trauma – that’s a thing. It often takes the most difficult moment in our lives – a painful breakup, facing an addiction, the end of an important friendship or loss of a loved one – to make us take stock. Awareness is the first step.
If this is where you’re at, keep reading, dear friend. We’ve been where you are.
We’ve pulled together a stellar team of knowledgeable Holistic Self-Development therapists who are regular humans and who’ve all been right here. In fancy terms, that’s known as ’embodied experience’ – we’ve been there so we can feel your hurt and your stuckness and your frustration. We can see the layers of armour you’ve used to protect yourself up til now and point gently to them say, ‘Here, it’s time to take this one off now!’, and hand you the tools to use to remove them safely.
Our Holistic Self-Development team are seriously superstars who have grown themselves up through their own process of facing up to their sh*t. They include Trauma-Informed Counsellors and Psychotherapists and Mental Health Occupational Therapists. Each member of our team has a different way of approaching the task at hand. Each has different tools. Each has a different way of seeing the world.
Because we’ve walked the path you’re on in some way or other, we don’t judge. We simply shine our light on the dark place and offer a hand so you can climb to solid ground. We’ve done it many times, for many people. If you are facing any of these problems, our Holistic Self-Development sessions are a great match:
- Insecurity in your relationships, worrying that you’re not enough for your significant other or that they will leave you, feeling like you’ll never be good enough to find someone to love you
- Anger issues or outbursts, feeling like you’re always about to ‘snap’, throwing or breaking things, yelling at people close to you, feeling like you can’t respond in other ways
- Feeling victimized, wondering why bad things always happen to you or why others consistently let you down, noticing a pattern of being bullied or that others are to blame for what’s happening in your life
- Anxiety, poor sleep, overwhelm, doing too much, worrying about the future, worrying about money, career, worrying about things you cannot change or control
- Feeling inadequate in yourself or in your intimate relationships, feeling ‘less than’ other people, comparing yourself with other people and how they do things and finding yourself lacking
- Low self-worth, wondering why you aren’t good enough, comparing yourself with others, wishing you were someone else, feeling like you have no value, wondering why you are here
- Relationship problems, feeling stuck in a rut, not having your needs met, not getting the love you want
- People-pleasing, difficulties with saying ‘no’, feeling put-upon by others
- Grief and loss, processing the death or absence of a loved one or the end of a relationship
Counselling as part of Holistic Self-Development
Counselling is a big part of the work our Holistic Self-Development team uses to work with our clients. Counselling affords a safe and confidential place for you to explore and express your issues, concerns and fears, whether past or present. It’s safe because nothing you tell your therapist is too much. Every part of your experience is welcome. For many people, this is the first time they’ve felt allowed to share their whole truth with another human. Through open discussion of what’s troubling you, clarity can be achieved. Appropriate solutions begin to present themselves. Transformation begins.
Here are some important questions you may like to consider bringing to your sessions:
- Can I care for myself in ways that nourish me?
- Is my physical health being impacted by my psychological health, or by my coping strategies?
- Can I find and maintain stable and meaningful employment?
- Am I confident to carry out my role as a friend/partner/son/child/employee/community member/neighbour?
- Can I find purpose and joy in aspects of my life?
Your therapist can help direct you to appropriate, practical solutions. This means that you can start implementing small changes quickly, which can make for an improved quality of life right away. Once you start seeing yourself act with consistency and certainty, you may get a flicker of the magic of who might actually be in there. (We love this mystery!)
Somatic and body-focused approaches to Holistic Self-Development
‘Somatic’ means ‘of the body’, and somatic approaches to improving mental and spiritual wellbeing are relatively new. All of our Holistic Self-Development therapists draw on somatic approaches in their sessions. Through practising ‘being with’ the physical feelings in the body as we traverse different emotional states, our clients develop greater self-awareness of their emotions, thoughts, triggers and supports. In so doing, the client feels an improvement in their overall wellbeing and connection with others.
Somatic work is incredibly powerful and transformative. The nature of learning moves, as Rudolf Steiner said, from the head, to the heart, to the hands. First, we think about how we might change… then we feel what that might be like… then we actually embody the shift. When we spend time noticing the physical sensations in the body that accompany our thoughts and feelings rather than avoiding them, understanding and transformation can occur at a more rapid rate.
Holistic Self-Development covered under your NDIS plan
If you are keen to connect with our Holistic Self-Development specialists you are covered under NDIS funding. You can engage with our team at The Urban Alchemist using your self-managed or plan-managed NDIS package. We have many services available to nurture you if you are an NDIS participant so please ask our reception staff for information on using your NDIS plan to book the treatment appointment that is right for you!
Holistic Self-Development, Counselling and Psychotherapy Carlton North, Fitzroy North and Brunswick
At The Urban Alchemist we offer Holistic Self-Development and other essential services to clients from Brunswick, Brunswick East and Northcote. Our specialised therapists treat locals from from other surrounding areas, including Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Fitzroy. Please get in touch if you are travelling from regional or interstate and we will happily direct you to our beautiful and easy to access welcoming clinic.
Fees & Medicare rebates
Please contact The Urban Alchemist for further information on fees for Holistic Self-Development, Counselling and Psychotherapy, as these vary between individual practitioners and appointment length.
To make an appointment
Contact the Urban Alchemist on 9347 9247 to discuss your needs.